Director, Real Estate Operations
Director of Real Estate Operations
The Director of Operations, manages large capital projects, oversees the Building Automation technology, and provides technical leadership and oversight for the maintenance team. This role is responsible to provide senior technical and operational support to Property Management for the development of policies and procedures pertaining to all buildings managed by UCSC, to provide quality control for all properties and effective strategies to optimize building performance, tenant comfort, and safety.
The Director of Operations has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff and external contact with tenants, service contractors, government agencies, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and equipment and is expected to handle such information and equipment with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with tenants, vendors, contractors, engineers, and members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Director of Operations will directly supervise the Maintenance Manager, provide technical leadership and oversight to the Maintenance Department, and will report to the Senior Property Manager.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Work with Professional Engineers to document, bid (RFP) and execute large capital projects (interpretation of project scope; oversights, opportunities for better solutions, use of technology, functionality, maintenance, failure potential, etc.) Complete comprehensive punch list inspection of all projects and obtain close-out documents.
- Work and coordinate with Director of Construction to ensure good communication before, during and after major construction projects to ensure smooth transition of all capital projects from construction to property management.
- Maintain communication with Property Managers and Director of Construction to inform them of progress on projects, maintenance issues and tenant concerns.
- Oversee the compliance of life safety programs and procedures, domestic water quality control, and water treatment programs to include EPA & OSHA compliance.
- Ensures property safety systems are up to code, maintained and inspected
- Develop energy and water savings strategies to comply with city, state, federal reporting requirements such as Energy Star Portfolio Manager and new Building Tune Up Legislation and programs
- Forecast and coordinate all facilities related capital and operating budgets, as well as analyzing operating efficiencies and recommending continuous process improvement opportunities
- Coordinate development of short and long-range facility and capital improvement plans in conjunction with real estate functions
- Assist the project team in construction and implementation of all tenant renovation projects including the review of the construction drawings, coordination of all building vendors, which include architectural/engineering and construction services
- Develop relationships with infrastructure vendors. Coordinate RFP process for procurement for all equipment maintenance/repair services and projects
- Provide leadership for direct reports and supporting staff. Coach and motivate staff to accomplish department, functional and personal development goals.
- Develop technology driven process improvements all buildings as well as for the maintenance department
- Deliver and coordinate operational and mechanical seminars for building staff
- Prepare specifications for maintenance service contracts, issue RFP documents, evaluate RFP responses, recommend best value contractor, and coordinate completion of the service contract.
- Oversee all building systems including fire/life safety, plumbing, HVAC, and electrical issues; must remain current with latest HVAC technology trends
- Develop and monitor recordkeeping systems to maintain documentation related to building plans, service agreements, equipment performance and maintenance, building safety & security, and other related documents necessary for TJC (The Joint Commission) , DAAC (Division of Acute Ambulatory Care), and DOH (Department of Health) inspections.
- Develop and maintain effective building-specific maintenance and safety procedure manuals.
- Oversee readiness system for and respond to all emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Be available on an emergency call basis and, on an as needed basis, be available for supervision of off hour specialized work.
- Provide leadership and facilitate collaboration with the staff and management in the areas of facilities management, and biomedical repair as it pertains to establishing standards, policies, best practices, and efficient use of resources.
- Serve as an expert in facilities management providing direction, identifying internal resources of expertise, and establishing training and knowledge transfer opportunities as it pertains to new and updated regulations and/or best practices.
- Provide management of the Maintenance Manager.
- Support the Maintenance Manager in performing management functions for the department such as hiring, firing, performance evaluations, disciplinary counseling, salary recommendations, workload distribution, communication, recognition activities, and employee relations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex business documents.
- Ability to effectively respond to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints from tenants, co-workers, and management.
- Ability to make effective presentations on general topics to an internal department, large group of employees, tenants and/or management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams effectively.
- Detailed Knowledge of the methods, equipment, and materials used for building operational projects, programs, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to execute building maintenance programs and various project goals by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, delegating appropriately, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attends all UCSC in-services as required.
The successful candidate will have 7-10+ years of extensive experience in building operation/maintenance, building engineering, and capital improvement projects, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of financial terms and principles; ability to calculate intermediate figures such as percentages and discounts; conduct basic financial analysis.
Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of options in varying situations. Advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
Bachelor’s degree (BS) or equivalent from a four-year college or university preferred. Knowledge and understanding of all applicable practices/techniques, laws, project controls, and environmental regulations to include OSHA safety regulations.
Licensure: City of Philadelphia engineering “A” License.
Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record required.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email email@example.com.
About the Science Center
Located in the heart of uCity Square, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit organization that catalyzes and connects innovation to entrepreneurship and technology commercialization. For 50+ years, the Science Center has supported startups, research, and economic development in the life sciences, healthcare, physical sciences, and emerging technology sectors. As a result, graduate firms and current residents of the Science Center’s incubator support one out of every 100 jobs in the Greater Philadelphia region and drive $13 billion in economic activity in the region annually. By providing resources and programming for any stage of a business’s lifecycle, the Science Center helps scientists, entrepreneurs and innovators take their concepts from idea to IPO – and beyond.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org
Director, Real Estate Operations
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 3/11/2022